I’m the Flavor of the Month!
What a learning curve it has been reopening Blu’s! Scott and I have definitely dove right in working at our sweet little shop. We have so enjoyed all of our new “regulars” and meeting many new faces. It’s absolutely heartwarming to see the community support small local businesses in Evansville.
I’d like to share a few of our flops and off-the-wall moments that come with owning a treat shoppe. Here we go…
- Mop buckets do not, I repeat do not roll well over door thresholds. I went flying with a mop bucket one night while cleaning and water literally went everywhere. Needless to say the mop bucket won that night’s battle.
- Watered down chocolate custard isn’t an easy substance to clean off of floors. Scott was cleaning a machine and accidentally dropped a bucket of watered down awesomeness. It took 3 mop buckets to get the stick off of the floor.
- People are serious about flavors! If you have a request please let us know, otherwise we pick and choose what we like. Can you image a world with only Scott & Nichole soft-serve choices? So boring! Let your inner sweet tooth be heard!
- When someone tells you to clean and sanitize a machine once a week, it doesn’t seem that bad of a job. However, let me be the first to say that it takes a minimum of 5-6 hours to breakdown, clean, sanitize and fill 5 machines! Now, that’s if everything goes smoothly. Scott and I have dedicated our Saturday nights starting at 9:00 p.m. and often finish “flipping” machines on Sunday around 2:00 a.m. It’s worth every minute to see smiling faces.
- When the power goes out, light a candle! The power has went out at Blu’s just once, but it was enough to almost shut our entire operation down for a few hours.
- Soft-serve machine parts are expensive and take time to repair! We have had 3 motors blow in 2 months. We do apologize for this and do our best to get them up and running quickly.
- Grazing with a sample cup counts as dinner. Since we are there so late during the weekends, eating dinner isn’t always an option. Thus, we can graze and make a dinner out of Georgia Peach and Chocolate Custard.
Basically, expect the unexpected when owning a treat shoppe! Again, we thank you for being patient with us as we grow and appreciate your support.
Scott, Nichole, Ross & Grant